Matthew 10:39 Anyone finding his life will lose it, and anyone losing his life because of Me will find it. CSB
The thought of losing your life for Christ seems scary. It involves a great amount of unknown and uncertainty. “What if God wants me to become a missionary to Africa? What if I have to sell everything I have and give it to the poor? What if I lose all of my friends?”
For a number of years this fear kept me from surrendering my life to become a pastor. Quitting my job and heading off to Bible College was like stepping off of a plank backwards into the dark while blindfolded. The ‘what if’s?’ were so great that they often put me in a cold sweat.
Even after I finally made the decision to begin my preparation to become a pastor, I was still full of fear. ‘What if the Lord wants me to go somewhere I don’t want to go? What if the people won’t pay me and I starve? What if my family has to wear rags?’ It seems funny to write these things, but I can assure you that the fear was real.
Then one night I heard a message on trusting God. Somewhere during the message I got lost in a conversation between myself and the Holy Spirit. “When are you going to trust Me?” God asked. “I do!”, I replied. “No you don’t. Not really. You trust Me with some things, but not everything. You don’t believe that I am good. You don’t believe that I can or will take care of you.”
God words haunted me all through the night. The next morning when I awoke, I found a quite place and took pen and paper and wrote out what I call – the Title Deed to my life. I determined that if I couldn’t trust God with everything, I didn’t really trust Him with anything. I gave God control over my life. I gave Him control my family. I gave Him control over my success. I gave Him control over my failures. “Wherever and whenever and however You want to use me – do so for Your glory. I believe that You are a good God and that I can trust You.”
I won’t say that I have never been tempted to take back the control, but I can say that since I put my life in God’s hands, not for one moment have I been disappointed. In many ways it was a very liberating experience. As the old saying goes – “I don’t know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.”
- What would you include in the Title Deed to your life? Make a list of what such a document would include.
- Search out passages of scripture that deals with each of these areas. Most Bibles have a concordance in the back that lists various subjects in alphabetical order. Other resources are also available.
- Talk with the Lord about each area. Be open and honest. God already knows what’s in your heart so you don’t have to be afraid to be real.
- Begin taking one area at a time and giving it to the Lord. Mark off the areas where you find victory.
- Ultimately – sit down and write out the Title Deed to your life. Give it all to God. Put your deed in an envelope and write across the front – Property of Jesus Christ. Then whenever the devil tries to tempt you with fear and doubt, show him the Title Deed. Tell him that you are no longer the one in control. You now belong completely to Christ!
Comments are open on this blog post. What are your thoughts / ideas / suggestions about today’s topic?